The Sony a7R II packs heavy imaging power in a lightweight body. With enhanced light sensitivity and lightning-quick data output, its 42-megapixel full-frame back-illuminated CMOS sensor takes efficiency to a new level. The absence of an optical low-pass filter on this powerful sensor means you'll be able to take advantage of every one of those 42-plus megapixels of resolution for high-level detail and edge-to-edge clarity. Add to that a blazing-fast processing engine and you've got one rock-solid camera for producing remarkably clear photos and videos with near-instant autofocus and incredible low-light performance.
The a7R II's highly responsive Fast Hybrid autofocus system gives you clear action shots with keen subject tracking that keeps moving subjects in sharp focus throughout the frame. 399 AF points provide pinpoint autofocus accuracy in still images and movies.
Videographers, take note
The a7R II produces stunning Full HD video and is optimized for 4K movie recording. In Super 35mm format, data is processed from every pixel for sharp, finely detailed footage. A multi interface shoe lets you connect professional microphone kits for balanced audio to match the video quality. Advanced features like Picture Profile and the S-Log2 Gamma setting let you adjust color, gradation, and dynamic range for richly detailed movies, even when shooting in low light. A clean HDMI output sends uncompressed movie data to an external recorder or monitor. You can keep recording with the camera even when using this function.
Steady as she goes
At such high levels of definition and detail, even small amounts of camera shake can be visible in your videos or cause noticeable blurring in still images, so Sony has taken plenty of steps to ensure crystal-clear photos and shake-free videos. Five-axis image stabilization optimized for high-resolution sensors compensates for camera shake from five different directions, giving you freedom to shoot handheld, zoom in on distant subjects, and capture sharp night scenes. You can monitor the effects of camera shake compensation in the viewfinder or LCD screen while shooting and adjust framing and focusing if needed for steady results. The a7R II's reduced-vibration shutter has a braking mechanism that cuts down on vibration, and Silent Shooting Mode uses an electronic shutter that cuts out shake caused by mechanical shutter movement.
Your phone adds functionality
Built-in Wi-Fi means you can instantly transfer photos and videos from the a7R II directly to your phone or tablet for easy uploading and sharing. NFC touch pairing is also available for compatible Android™ devices. Sony's PlayMemories Camera Apps include free and paid apps that complement your photographic style and interests. There's the indispensable free Smart Remote Control app that lets you use your mobile device to control shooting on the a7R II, along with specialized apps for things like light painting, time-lapse, stop motion, and multiple exposure, plus plenty of editing effects to fine-tune your photos and add your own personal touches.
- 42.4-megapixel full-frame Exmor™ CMOS image sensor (35.9 x 24.0 mm) with no optical low-pass filter
- BIONZ X image processor for high-resolution, low-noise photos and fast autofocus performance
- compatible with Sony full-frame FE lenses and Sony E-mount lenses (in crop mode)
- Sony LA-EA3 and LA-EA4 adaptors allow you to use Sony A-mount lenses
- Wi-Fi lets you transfer photos and video to smartphones and tablets for easy image sharing
- NFC touch pairing with compatible Android™ devices
- PlayMemories Camera Apps let you add new camera functions and capabilities
- 2,359K-dot Organic LED (OLED) super high-resolution electronic viewfinder for easy eye-level composition
- sturdy magnesium-alloy body
- multi-interface shoe expands camera's compatibility with external flash and video accessories
- 3" LCD screen tilts upward 107 degrees and downward 41 degrees for easy framing of self-portraits and composition from odd angles
- 4K Ultra HD video recording with 100 Mbps maximum bit rate
- uncompressed, clean HDMI output supports 4K and full HD
- Anti-Dust Technology keeps image sensor clean for spotless photos
- fast, precise autofocus with contrast-detection AF system
- Eye AF control for accurate eye detection; can prioritize a single pupil when subject is partially turned away from camera
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- 9 scene modes, including Portrait, Sunset and Hand-held Twilight, for accurately exposed images in different shooting environments
- 13 picture effects include Retro Photo, HDR painting, and Toy Camera modes
- Sweep Panorama mode stitches images together to create expansive vistas
- Auto HDR mode composites 3 exposures to capture all of the tonal gradations from the darkest shadows to the brightest highlights
- up to 5 frames per second in continuous shooting mode
- shutter speed range: 30-1/8,000 seconds, bulb
- ISO range: 100-102,400
- exposure bracketing: 3, 5, or 9 frames in variable increments
- flash sync at 1/250 second
- records in RAW and JPEG formats
- records photos and videos onto SD, SDHC and SDXC cards and Memory Stick PRO Duo and PRO-HG Duo memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed micro USB interface
- micro HDMI output (cable not included)
- 3.5mm microphone input and 3.5mm headphone jack
- 5-1/2"W x 3-13/16"H x 2-3/4"D
- weight (with battery): 22 oz.