Developed specifically for those looking to photograph the night sky, the Canon EOS Ra is a modified version of the original EOS R that incorporates an optical IR cut filter in front of the sensor for photographing distant nebulae and other astronomical phenomena with utmost clarity. By updating the EOS R's design with a dedicated filter, the EOS Ra provides approximately 4x improved transmission and sensitivity to H-alpha (656.28nm) wavelengths for depicting nebulae and other subjects without unwanted infrared contamination for greater color neutrality. Additionally, a 30x live view magnification setting has also been added for improved focusing precision on distant subjects when working with either the EVF or rear LCD. Beyond these couple distinctions, the EOS Ra and EOS R feature the same set of core features to produce high resolution, well-detailed imagery.
The EOS Ra features a high-resolution 30.3MP full-frame CMOS sensor along with a DIGIC 8 image processor. The combination of these technologies offers a wide sensitivity range up to a native ISO 40000, fast continuous shooting to 8 fps, and UHD 4K30 video recording. In addition to imaging, the sensor also facilitates an advanced Dual Pixel CMOS AF system, which uses 5655 selectable points for quickly and accurately acquiring focus. This focusing system is also sensitive down to EV -6 for working in impressively dark conditions. The AF system is also perfectly matched to the UHD 4K video recording capabilities, which are also rounded out by Movie Digital IS to minimize camera shake, built-in Canon Log gamma for a greater dynamic range, and 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 output over HDMI for even greater color control.
Beyond the performance attributes, this camera has been designed from the ground up and features a high-resolution 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder for clear and bright eye-level viewing. Conversely, a rear 3.15" 2.1m-dot LCD touchscreen is also featured and has a swivel design to suit working from high and low angles. Also catering to the tactile cravings is a Multi-Function bar, which is customizable for intuitively adjusting shooting settings. And as a camera built to withstand the toughest environments, the magnesium alloy body is dust and moisture-sealed.
Designed for Astrophotography
- An optical IR cut filter has been placed in front of the CMOS sensor to allow specific transmission characteristics to better enable capturing nebulae and distant galaxies that emit light at the H-alpha wavelength, or 656.28nm. By filtering at this spectrum, 4x improved transmission allows more accurate photography of reddish, diffuse nebulae and other astronomical phenomena in a clearer, more brilliant manner, void of the IR attenuation associated with traditional hot mirrors and other IR-blocking technologies on most cameras.
- High-magnification viewing of 30x and 5x is possible using either the rear vari-angle LCD or OLED EVF for clearer, more precise focusing on small and distant subjects, such as stars.
- The same white balance presets remain as the standard EOS R; however color reproduction and accuracy may vary depending on lighting conditions and the resulting images may take on a reddish cast. As such, the EOS Ra is not recommended for general photography applications.
Canon RF Lens Mount
30.3MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 8 Image Processor
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
UHD 4K Video Recording and Canon Log Gamma
Integrated Canon Log also allows users to capture flat images with an improved dynamic range of 800%, or 12 stops. This function makes it easier to match cameras in post-production as well as provides the most latitude and potential for color grading. For monitoring, a View Assist function is available, which emulates a graded look for more accurate viewing on the camera's LCD.
Audio can be recorded using the on-board stereo microphone or an optional external mic can also be used via the 3.5mm mic jack.
Dual Pixel RAW
- Integrated 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder has 0.71x magnification and affords a bright and clear means for eye-level viewing.
- Rear 3.15" 2.1m-dot LCD features a swivel design for easier use when working from high, low, and front-facing angles. It is also a touchscreen for intuitive control over shooting, playback, and menu navigation controls.
- Customizable Multi-Function Bar is located near the viewfinder on the rear of the camera and can be set to control four functions using right, left, slide, and press movements. It can be used to adjust ISO or white balance, to check focus/display focus info or AF modes, change to movie shooting modes, use flexible-priority AE, or be customized for other functions.
- Top panel incorporates a dot-matrix LCD, which provides quick access to important camera settings.
- One SD memory card slot featured and supports the UHS-II protocol for faster read and write speeds to better support 4K video recording and fast continuous shooting.
- Magnesium alloy body design is lightweight, durable, and features dust- and water-resistant seals for use in a variety of weather conditions.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity enable wireless sharing, control, and image transfer with a compatible smart device via the Canon Camera Connect app, which also supports geotagging your files using your mobile device's location data.
- Included LP-E6N rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 430 shots per charge, and in-camera charging is supported via the PD-E1 USB Power Adapter. This camera is also compatible with the LP-E6 battery, however is not supported for in-camera charging.
Other Camera Features
- Digital Lens Optimizer helps to minimize the appearance of various optical aberrations in-camera, including diffraction, for cleaner image quality.
- Multi shot noise reduction technology records four sequential exposures and then combines them in-camera to produce an image with smoother tones and lower noise to suit long exposure images.
- Images can be saved as Compact Raw (C-RAW / .CR3) files, which offer smaller file sizes for faster post-processing.